wxMupen64Plus for Mac (beta!)
The best MP64+ frontend (*not an emulator)
- Launching ROMs
- Setting Mupen64Plus gamepad controls
- Setting Mupen64Plus plugin settings
- Setting Mupen64Plus keyboard and gamepad shortcuts
- And more!
This page will help you download and install wxMupen64Plus so you can get right to playing N64 games on your Mac!
Official release download & installation instructions
1. Head over to the wxMupen64Plus download page and grab the
Mupen64Plus0.x_combo.dmg disk image:
2. Open the disk image (or have Safari do it for you automatically):
3. Drag wxMupen64Plus.app to your Applications folder.
4. Open wxMupen64Plus and enjoy!
This is beta software with some known issues. Among other things, you may need to restart wxMupen64Plus for plugin changes to take effect.
The following software is released under the GPL.
|wxMupen64Plus build||Date & time uploaded|
Installing wxMupen64Plus latest builds
After you've downloaded wxMupen64Plus, you still need to inject it with Mupen64Plus before you can play N64 games on your Mac. This can be done in a few painless steps:
Skip to the next section if you already have a copy of Mupen64Plus on your computer
- Download the latest release of Mupen64Plus (mupen64plus-bundle-osx-1.99.4.zip) from the Mupen64Plus Google Code page
- Extract the mupen64plus-1.99.4-osx folder by double-clicking the archive (or have Safari do it for you automatically)
- Make the Mupen injection:
Injecting wxMupen64Plus with Mupen64plus
wxMupen64Plus is a frontend for Mupen64Plus, and it doesn't come with a packaged version. Luckily, injecting wxMupen64Plus with Mupen64Plus is easy, and I've thrown together two methods of doing this:
- A shell script (for Terminal.app)
- An interactive AppleScript
Shell script method
To use this code, copy and paste it into Terminal.app after making the following changes (if needed):
~/Downloadsin the first line with the location of your mupen64plus-1.99.4-osx folder;
x86_32in the second and third lines with
x86_64if you want to use 64-bit Mupen64Plus
- Warning: problems have been found using the 64-bit version of Mupen64Plus with wxMupen64Plus
/Applicationswith the folder containing wxMupen64Plus
cd ~/Downloads cp -rf mupen64plus-1.99.4-osx/x86_32/mupen64plus.app/Contents/libs /Applications/wxMupen64Plus.app/Contents rsync mupen64plus-1.99.4-osx/x86_32/mupen64plus.app/Contents/MacOS/* /Applications/wxMupen64Plus.app/Contents/PlugIns cp -rf mupen64plus-1.99.4-osx/x86_32/mupen64plus.app/Contents/Resources/* /Applications/wxMupen64Plus.app/Contents/Resources/ open /Applications/wxMupen64Plus.app
AppleScript App Method
In case you're uncomfortable meddling with the command line, I threw together a little application that will make this a quick and painless injection. Here's how to use it:
- Download Mupen Injector (GPL licence)
- Extract MupenInjector.zip and open Mupen Injector.app
- Navigate to and select wxMupen64Plus.app, then click "Choose":
- Navigate to and select mupen64plus.app, then click "Choose":
If everything went smoothly, wxMupen64Plus should be up and running, and you should be ready to play Nintendo64 games on your Mac!
If you see something like this: Mupen64Plus wasn't successfully installed into wxMupen64Plus.app. Check out the comments for common fixes. If your problem isn't addressed there, you can add a new comment yourself.
If everything works for you, feel free to leave a comment, too!